Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why the spider?


You might wonder why I chose the brown recluse spider as a symbol of what this blog is about. Allow me to briefly delineate.

Policy from any level of governance that effects us all is set with the intention of luring us into believing whatever message the source wants us to believe.

We all too often follow blind faith based on appearance and allure of the messenger, only to be trapped in a web we find difficult to escape.

This happens at all levels of the political sphere, whether it be at college, locally, regionally, statewide or on the national landscape.

Once in the web, we have few advocates to set us free.

It's my intention to strike out at institutional racism, inequity, bigotry and unfair public policy before, during and after the damage has effected minorities and the underrepresented in our society.

If we, as journalists, do not share with the public that which we feel is felonious to anybody and everybody, it is a mere misdemeanor to all but us.

What some may construe as heroic, I view as pragmatic. It's a small planet to share, but share we must.

Many conservative fundamentalists will vilify me as liberal. I embrace my humanity and look into my own eyes in the mirror each time I shave (which I do when I feel the urge).

I bear no strong allegiance to either side of a two-sided (preferably more) political joust, as long as it includes all races, ethnicities, cultures, gender preferences and a feminist perspective in the mix.

If that makes me a liberal, call me the "L" word and I will respond.






No comments: